What Causes Split Ends?
Split ends develop when the ends of your hair is dry, brittle or gets frayed.
There are two main reasons for split ends. The environment can stress your hair and cause split ends. Environmental reasons include swimming pool chemicals, excess radiation from the sun or air pollution.
Hair styling is also a factor. Heat styling and chemical treatments degrade the hair follicles over time, leading to split ends.
When your hair cuticle and shaft are damaged, the tips or ends of your hair literally split, causing split ends.
How To Get Rid Of Split Ends?
Currently, there is no way to get rid of split ends. Once the ends of your hair splits, it's very hard to join it back together.
The best way to get rid of split ends is to cut them off on your next haircut.
Some companies market hair masks as a cure for split ends, but those claims are untrue.
Hair masks can help you prevent split ends or even conceal them to a degree, but the split ends won't go away.
How To Prevent Split Ends?
It's best to protect your hair from excess damage and avoid unnecessary chemical treatments.
- Reduce your exposure to polluted air.
- Protect your hair while in the swimming pool.
- Spend less time exposing your hair to the sun's radiation.
- Avoid frequent perms and hair coloring.
- Avoid using high heat on your hair.
- Apply conditioner and hydrating masks to your hair often
- Use a wide tooth comb or hair brush to detangle hair
- Use shampoos that contain no harsh ingredients
- Use high-quality hair wellness supplements such as Enhance hair supplement
- Include more good fats in your diet as they can moisturize your scalp and prevent split ends
Key Takeaways For Split Ends
Environmental factors and chemical processing are some of the major causes of split ends.
As you get older, your scalp produces less sebum which may cause dryness and additional split ends.
To prevent split ends, prevention is key. Use our tips above to maintain big and beautiful hair at any age.
Also consider using our Enhance hair wellness supplement - which has B-vitamins, zinc and other superfoods that create healthier, stronger hair.
Keep reading: 4 steps to growing thicker, fuller hair FAST